Ok this one is absolutely decadent. Cauliflower mash is already wonderful as it is, but cheesy and creamy cauliflower mash like this is mind-blowingly good. Most people are really surprised when they have cauliflower mash because there isn’t the weird and slightly pungent smell of fresh cauliflower. I happen to think it is better than regular potato mash – there is a kind of silky goodness about cauliflower mash with slightly sweet overtones.
I actually had a dinner for more than 20 people and doubled this recipe. There were some leftovers but I happily turned the left-over roast beef, turkey gravy and cauliflower mash into a meat and mash pie the day after. Another score!
Sour Cream and Cheddar Cauliflower Mash
- 1 whole head of cauliflower (large), cut into florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- Steam the cauliflower for 20 minutes
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg C.
- Mash the cauliflower in a blender, adding the butter, salt, pepper, sour cream and cheese.
- Place the mash in a casserole dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Serve warm with a sprinkling of chopped chives on top.