Weekends are precious to me…but since I had to attend an annual general meeting this morning, there was impetus to prepare something really quickly for hubs and I. When we first got married, we loved to go to a coffee shop called Loon Seng which had a killer curry noodle that we adored. What was distinctive about this noodle soup was a really rich and thick curry gravy and the fact that they always used chicken wings in the curry. This was always a little difficult to eat and I did learn not to wear a white blouse while having the noodles, but somehow the chicken wing meat was tender and slightly fatty and went perfectly well in this rich gravy.
So because I was in such a desperate hurry, I had to access the Instant Pot for this quick breakfast. The great thing about the Instant Pot is that it manages frozen meat really well and allows one to do sudden and unplanned cookouts. In this blog post, I break away also from my belief that I should post recipes that show one how to cook from scratch. The truth is that, in a hurry, curry pastes are really useful as the rempah is the hardest and slowest component to prepare. I used a curry paste that is easily found in the local supermarkets; but the truth is that any good quality curry paste would do.
Instant curry paste – this version is sold in the chiller section of the supermarket. I find this is nicer than other version in the open shelves, probably because there are no preservatives and have more shallots in the paste.
Because we eat low carb in the family, we don’t put potatoes into our curry. I happed to have some bean curd (tau pok or tofu puffs) in the freezer and so it was a simple and logical addition to this curry. The other low carb fix was of course to use a low carb noodle. I used a shirataki fettuccine noodle from iHerb.
The curry noodles literally took 1/2 hour from start to finish. Hubs was full of praise (I think it’s because I put in tau pok which is his favourite thing). He loved it and (since he’s a kind husband) said that it tasted just like our favourite curry noodles. 😅
Low Carb Instant Pot Curry Chicken Noodles
- 400-500 g of frozen chicken wings
- 1 large onion, cut into slices
- 1 packet chicken paste
- 1 packet tofu puffs (tau pok)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 4 packets of shirataki noodles
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- Put the Instant Pot in sauté mode. Heat up the peanut oil.
- Sauté the onions for 4-5 minutes till lightly caramelized.
- Add the curry paste and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken wings and chicken stock. Try to submerge the chicken wings in the stock.
- Turn off the sauté mode and put the lid onto the pot. Turn the valve to sealed position. Put on manual high pressure for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, drain the shirataki noodles and dry fry the noodles in a non-stick pan. Set aside.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking, do a quick pressure release. Add the tau pok and coconut milk and put on sauté mode. Cook for another 2 minutes,
- Distribute the shirataki noodles into 4 bowls. Ladle the chicken, tau pok and curry gravy over the noodles. Serve hot.