It’s nearing the end of the year and the weather has turned slightly drippy. It is said that Singapore’s seasons progress from hot to hotter to hottest. And some say the seasons progress from hot to hotter to durian season! But the end of the year has a special rhythm to it. Schools out and the roads are less busy, but the malls and shopping belts like Orchard Road are thronging with the masses.
Last night we did a doggy walk down Orchard Road. We don’t live too far away and it’s not difficult to trot down to see the lights. The lights are pretty this year, with the theme “Christmas in Bloom”…much better than the fiasco of Disney princesses several years ago. Walking was slightly challenging with the dog who had a predilection for high end boutiques like Prada…and her paws would veer towards any shop that sold products in 3 to 4 figure sums. She was on a super high the whole walk but lost steam near the end…needing a good heft from Papa.
Anyway today we decided to have a quieter day in. Dinner was simple with a low carb noodle dish and a hearty beef soup. Kalbi-Tang is a short rib beef soup that I fell in love with in Fort Lee many years ago. The warm soup has a very simple beefy goodness to it…really minimal seasoning but the sweetness of the daikon comes through.
I used the Instant Pot to make this. My 6L pot has been a true workhorse and I hardly make soups and stews on the stove any more. This recipe was made in the morning and I finished it off on the stove in the evening – the pot kept it warm for the rest of the day. I really adore the way you can walk away from the Instant Pot and it just does magic behind your back!
Instant Pot Short Rib Beef Soup
- 1 kg of short rib beef
- 1 whole daikon radish
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 1 1-inch knob of ginger
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 pkt shirataki noodles (optional)
- Cut the daikon into 1 inch rings and halve them. Cut the white part of the spring onions in 2 inch lengths, and chop the green parts finely. Peel and slice the ginger into 4-5 slices. Cut the onion into quarters.
- Rinse the beef under running water. Bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Blanch the beef for 4-5 minutes. 3.Place the beef, daikon radish, ginger, onions, white part of spring onions, soy sauce, salt, black peppercorns and 6l water into the pot. Seal and put under manual pressure for 40 minutes. Allow normal pressure release.
- Carefully remove the daikon, beef short ribs and place into a soup pot. Drain the soup into the pot and discard the onions, ginger and spring onion bits. 5.Skim off the oil from the top of the soup. Bring the soup to a boil and add the green part of the spring onions. Add the shirataki noodles if using. Serve hot.
One thought on “Instant Pot Short Rib Beef Soup”