I have wonderful friends. They cart duck eggs from overseas and even get me poppy seeds from a multitude of countries when I have a mind to make lemon and poppy seed muffins. The latest installment of food gifts came from a good friend whose husband had bought Redmart lamb at killer staff prices and she decided to give me some to test out. This weekend I have been trying out lamb rump recipes and the results have been interesting. Apart from an easy lamb and barley soup I threw into the slow cooker for an easy soup (awesome!), I also roasted lamb rump with root vegetables.
This weekend was busy – attending the International Disciplemaking Conference 2015 Life and Legacy ate up the whole weekend but time whizzed by, as it always does when you’re having fun. Or when you are learning lots. As the conference was held in Singapore Expo, delegates were usually encouraged to eat lunch in the various eateries in the complex, but as most local food outlets sell carb-heavy food I decided to pack lunch for hubs and I. The great thing was that the lamb and roast vegetables could be done in a single baking dish and was a really easy roast that did not take too long and I didn’t have to wake up early to prepare it to pack for lunch. Just like a kid who compares her lunchbox with her friends, I was rather smug as I sat together with cell group friends with their box lunches because my lunch did look rather impressive. 😄
Roast Lamb Rump and Vegetables
- 400 g lamb rump
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 brown mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1 green pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 200 g pumpkin, cut into small pieces about 1/2 – 1 inch thick
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pat dry the lamb. Sprinkle paprika, cumin, salt, pepper on the lamb, coat with minced garlic and marinade in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.
- Toss the mushrooms, pumpkin, tomatoes and green pepper with the salt, pepper and oregano with the avocado oil and spread out in a baking tray.
- Make space in the middle of the tray and place the lamb, fat side up, in the center of the tray.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes (for medium done lamb)
- Allow the lamb to rest before slicing. Serve warm with the roast vegetables.
Lamb rump packed for lunch with roast vegetables. More than enough for a him-and-me portion.