Holidays have hit us again. Kid#2 has been hanging round the house and even kid#1 has been home-bound because of wisdom tooth surgery. The problem about the young appetite is that it is often voracious and craves variety. After the kids inhaled the 2 tubs of low carb ice cream barely a day after I had bought them, I knew I needed to make something quick and easy that could pacify the ravenous appetites. Kid#1 has really been on the roll and I’ve watched the batches of homemade yogurt and kaya vanishing from the fridge. He’s not known as the Hoover for nothing.
I had some Ben Banter Chocolate Mousse mix – and I’ve been trying to make sure that I use it up properly; I have a terrible habit of not using up products and ending up with very cluttered shelves. I decided to make mug cake. So far the most mug cakes we have been making were on family holidays where the kids took charge of mug cake making. Microwave mug cakes are the easiest thing to do and easily satisfies any cravings. And it keeps them occupied and momentarily stops them from watching shows on their devices.
I tried to keep this mug cake recipe really simple and with minimal ingredients. It is literally a mix and stir recipe and stick it in the microwave recipe that should work on the road or at home. And because this worked pretty well I probably don’t have to run to the supermarket for more ice cream and just point them to make more mug cake when they get hungry!
Low Carb Chocolate Mug Cake
- 6 tbsp almond flour
- 4 tbsp Ben Banter Chocolate Mousse Mix (or any other good quality cocoa powder)
- 4 tbsp sugar substitute
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Melt the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Allow it to cool slightly.
- Mix the dry ingredients: the almond flour, chocolate mousse mix, sugar substitute, baking powder and a pinch of salt together.
- Beat the eggs in another bowl with the vanilla essence.
- Mix in the wet and dry ingredients. Divide the batter mix into 2 mugs.
- Microwave at 1000 watts for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little dusting of sugar substitute on top and serve immediately.
5 thoughts on “Low Carb Chocolate Mug Cake”
Dear author, can I check if I want to use the same recipe using oven instead if microwave, what would the baking time and temperature be?
Usually if you put in a muffin cup and bake, the oven temp should be 180 deg C and baking time about 12-15 minutes. May need to play around a bit depending on your oven.
Thank you very much for your reply 😉