My kitchen has been under attack. This morning I woke up wanting to make a batch of chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips and discovered right at the end of mixing my ingredients that my peanut butter chips which I just bought 2 days ago had completely disappeared. Needless to say it ended up with me storming into kid#1’s room and screaming at him. The Hoover had struck again.
I know there’s a lot that has been said about the teenage appetite, but this was way too crazy. I suspect that kid#1 was born without a stop button…I remember picking him up from kindergarten once after an end of year party and the principal said that the little blob had vomited because he ate 17 chicken nuggets at a go. It is amazing how he is actually physically very buff now as a teen because the way he eats he should be completely spherical in shape.
Anyway the reason for today’s bake was because I was still trying to use up my Ben Banter Chocolate mousse mix. My pantry is severely over full and I’ve been trying to clear out miscellaneous items that clutter up the space. So I initially thought of making a chocolate cookie, then it was supposed to evolve to a chocolate cookie with peanut butter chips but in the end I had to resort to using my Callebault chocolate chips instead (since I discovered the Hoover had also attacked my Lily’s chocolate baking chips at the same time 😡). Still, I’m rather pleased with this recipe – it is the bomb! I’ve been trying to simplify my recipes to cut down the number of ingredients, but I swear the blackstrap molasses and coffee powder completely transformed this cookie into something rich and multidimensional. Anyway kid#2 (the chocolate monster) has already given her stamp of approval for this cookie recipe. It’s a keeper!
Low Carb Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup Ben Banter Chocolate Mousse mix (or any good quality cocoa powder)
- 1/2 cup sugar substitute (if using pure cocoa powder to increase sugar substitute to 2/3 cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (Lily’s or a high cocoa % chocolate)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and prepare a tray lined with baking paper.
- Mix the almond flour, cocoa powder mix, sugar substitute, salt, baking powder and instant coffee powder together.
- In another bowl, mix the melted butter, egg, molasses and vanilla essence together.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients. Add the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop out balls of the cookie dough and place on the baking tray, flattening the dough balls with the palm of your hand. Space out the cookie dough with at least 2 cm in between.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and place cookies on a cooling rack. Serve with a cup of almond milk!
Packed for now…these guys won’t last long in the house.