It’s the weekend again! I think it’s the 3rd weekend of Phase 2 reopening and I finally ventured out to go shopping. I made a quick foray to Plaza Singapura to buy pet food from Pet Lovers Centre, water filter from Novita, shirataki noodles (yellow noodle style) from Iroha Mart, zero noodles from Xndo and a bunch of stuff from Cold Storage. Come to think about it, this was still stuff I would have been able to get during the circuit breaker (except the water filter). Maybe I am really a creature of habit and I haven’t really got myself into social re-entry yet!
Today I also had people over for the first time in months! We’re now allowed to have a group of 5 over. It was a wonderful meal especially when 2 of them were able to lead an impromptu worship session after lunch. It was a real blessing after such a long hiatus from church; having online services is good enough for the season but it’s nothing like being together for fellowship.
So for dessert I made apple pie ice cream to go on top of a low carb snickerdoodle skillet cookie from All Day I Dream About Food. I think that following a full on curry lunch bought from Banana Leaf Apolo put me into serious food coma.
Anyway, after the last round of pear caramel ice cream, I figured I would make my other favourite flavour and that is apple pie! I remember when the kids were little we brought them apple picking and the farm gave us a big plastic bag for all the apples we could pick (it came free with the entry fee). Of course they never bargained with us crazy Asians who filled the bag to bursting. And the count was 72 apples in that bag!!! After that I think I made so much apple pie, apple cake, apple jam and apple anything to use up all the apples.
Still that didn’t stop me from liking apples. So now while on a low carb diet where I don’t really eat apples, the amount of apple that is distributed through the ice cream is not that much and the carb count comes to about 3-4 g carbs per scoop, which is not too bad in my book.
So here’s the apple pie ice cream recipe. I asked kid#2 if I should have called it apple toffee ice cream but she tells me that I nailed the apple pie flavour!
Apple Pie Ice Cream
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 3/4 cup of sugar substitute (I used Lakanto, which is a combination of monk fruit and erythritol)
- 1 tbsp yacon syrup (optional)
- 2 cups of cream
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Peel and core the apples and chop into small cubes.
- Over medium heat, heat up the sugar substitute and yacon syrup. Gently stir as the sugar melts. Stir for about 5 – 7 minutes. When the syrup turns to a dark amber, the caramel is done.
- Add the apple pieces and 1/4 tsp of salt and stir through. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and take the pot off the stove. Add 1/2 cup of cream to the mixture and stir through, then add the rest of the cream and mix well.
- Blend the mixture (I used a stick blender). Pass the mixture through a sieve and discard the apple pulp. Add the cinnamon and lemon juice and mix well.
- Refrigerate the mixture fully for at least 1/2 hour.
- Churn the mixture in an ice cream machine, then freeze. Serve when fully frozen.