It’s American Thanksgiving and while I don’t really celebrate it (turkey in my home comes at Christmas), it is a good time to take stock of the year and be thankful. So today I’m thankful for friends who kept connected this year and gave me a sense of rootedness in this most unexpected of years. I was supposed to celebrate my big 5-0 with lots of exotic travel plans but all these plans were curtailed by Covid19 restrictions, leaving me a little mournful when thinking of “what might have been”. Nonetheless, I think I will certainly look back at this year with a sense of gratitude for the many small things that made my year special.
So a group of my friends got together to buy me a crepe maker for my birthday last month. Truth is, I got more excited about the crepe maker because I had been mulling about making low carb thosai! Somehow my non-stick pans had lost their non-stick properties and I had seriously been considering a crepe pan. Getting this dedicated crepe maker was an unexpected joy! (Everybody knows I like gadgets…).
The last time I made keto crepes I think I had the wrong recipe – it ended up tasted like a weird omelette. But thanks to Carolyn Ketchum of All Day I Dream About Food, I could convert her sweet crepe recipe into a savory one. The crepes tasted like the real thing!!! Savory crepes are amazing! I can think of a number of awesome combinations:
- Ham and cheese
- Smoked salmon and cream cheese
- Creamy chicken and mushrooms
- Beef chili and cheese
- Spinach and brie
So today I made ham, mushroom, spinach and gruyere cheese crepes. I really love this combination because I adore gruyere cheese. It really holds the ingredients together. This recipe is for 4 servings, but you could conceivably have a crepe party just by multiplying this batter recipe, and getting everybody to choose their own favourite toppings. A bit like a hands on pizza party (I used to do this for the kids’ birthday parties). Oh I do miss having parties but I think with the current restrictions in Singapore allowing only 5 people to visit a home, a cozy little crepe party might be a really easy, fuss-free and fun meal.
Low Carb Ham and Cheese Crepes
- Crepe Batter
- 120g cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 100g ham, sliced into strips
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup gruyere or cheddar cheese, grated coarsely
- Put the crepe batter ingredients into a blender and blend till all the ingredients are mixed through.
- Heat up the crepe pan over medium heat
- Spray the pan with avocado or other taste neutral oil.
- Pour a ladle of batter onto the crepe pan and swirl the batter, making sure the batter reaches the edge of the pan. When the edges are cooked, you can carefully slide a spatula under the crepe and flip it.
- Carefully layer the filling ingredients in this order: sliced mushrooms, ham, spinach then cheese. Gently lift a corner of the crepe and if it is slightly browned, you can fold over the sides. Gently use a spatula to press down on the folded crepe to make sure the crepe cooks a little more (about 30 seconds), then flip over and again gently press onto the crepe with the spatula for another 30 seconds, then transfer to a plate.
- Serve immediately. This can be eaten on its own or with some hollandaise sauce.