I think when I cook I get inspired by themes. This week I was channeling a bistro cook; think fragrant expressos, smashed avocado toast and quiches. So as usual I went rummaging in the fridge and found some broccoli and salmon fillets…which could have become a nice seared salmon and sautéed broccoli dinner, but because of the bistro idea, I ended up making a quiche.
I’ve posted other quiches and tarts on this site; almond flour tart bases are not usually crisp or flaky but on the other hand are much easier to handle than flour-based doughs as almond-dough can be easily pressed into the pan and the dough will never be over-handled.
The family did like bistro night. The next day leftovers disappeared pretty quickly too…and most of it with the dog who suddenly discovered a love for quiche.
Low Carb Salmon and Broccoli Quiche
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 salmon fillets, about 200g each
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.
- Mix the almond flour and salt together in a bowl. In another bowl, mix the egg and avocado oil together, then add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.
- Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper then line the tart pan or pie plate.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then remove from oven and set aside.
- While the tart shell is baking, set up a steamer and steam the salmon and broccoli for about 12-15 minutes. When done, drain any accumulated liquid, then flake the fish with a fork.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs together with the sour cream and whipping cream. Add the salt, pepper, dill, salmon, broccoli and cheddar cheese. Pour the mixture into the tart shell.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes. When done, allow it to cool slightly, then cut and serve.